Saturday 25 June 2016

Worldbuilder's Disease

Mitch Hedberg once said, "Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having." Well, there's also Worldbuilder's Disease and I'm going to yell at you right now for having it - the simple truth is NO ONE CARES!

Worldbuilder's disease is what beginning writers get when they feel that they must flesh out their setting in extreme detail before they can start to write a story. I'm telling you that you don't need to do this.

What people care about is an interesting story with interesting characters in an interesting setting. Plot, character, setting. Not necessarily in that order, but if you don't have the first two, the last one is definitely not going to cut it on its own. A story can survive on engaging characters, who perhaps don't do very much in a fairly humdrum or nondescript place (think Waiting for Godot,) or it could survive as an exciting plot populated only with stock characters (think James Bond,). However, if it is just a setting, you don't have a story and if you don't have a story, NO ONE CARES!

Now, don't get me wrong, I think setting is very important. Getting a sense of depth, of complexity, a sense that world exists beyond the story is essential, especially in secondary world fantasy stories. Readers of fantasy want not only to be transported to strange new worlds but also to feel that the world is plausible. Tastes vary on the degree of strangeness vs realism, what level of suspension of disbelief one is willing to maintain. Nevertheless, a certain amount of consistency and structure in the setting are required to keep most readers engaged.

And so, most beginning fantasy writers feel they need to create their world in depth: the history, the religion, the myths, the races, the languages, the economics, the politics, the geography, the climate, the flora and fauna, the cycle of seasons, the astrological bodies, the pseudo-scientific nature of magic. So this is what they do instead of writing a story. They create a store of information, an intricate web of made-up facts. These facts may be very creative but lacking an engaging narrative they are static like a stage devoid of action and  actors. No one is going to pay to go to the theatre just to look at the set. Worldbuilding is a procrastination tool, a disease that keeps writers from actually writing.

Tolkien's annotated map of Middle Earth
Worldbuilder's Disease is an affliction that makes fantasy writers think they are the next JRR Tolkien. Tolkien wrote the Silmarillion, which many liken to a kind of bible, filled with stories of the creation, the mythology and history of Middle Earth. He created his own languages and had those beautiful maps. His world is intricate and immersive. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are for many what first sparked our love of fantasy. His stories were rich with detail, and they would not be the same without the amount of work he put into creating his world. But at the same time, no one would care about Middle Earth if it were not for a couple of plucky hobbits and their adventures. Tolkien did something monumental, but it's not necessary to follow his example in order to be a fantasy writer. The story is ultimately what readers care about.

If you aspire to be the next Tolkien, fine, but just realize that until you give us a good story, NO ONE CARES about your creation myths, your gods, your lineages of kings and queens. If you think the history of your world is so exciting then maybe that's where your story lies.

This is not to say that worldbuilding is completely unnecessary. Of course it is needed, but the important thing to remember is that it does not all have to be done up front. A world can be built as you tell stories about it. You don't need to have explanations for everything, especially if those explanations have no bearing on the story. Is there an explanation behind the weird cycle of seasons in GRR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire? Whether it has to do with planetary tilt or orbit or magic or whatever doesn't really matter. Even if there is no structure, no actual explanation, there is implied structure. Readers are told that winter is coming, assume there is a logical reason behind the seasons being so long and carry on with their suspension of disbelief intact.

As a writer you do want to allow your reader glimpses into the world beyond the story as though through a window. You want to remain consistent, so that when they look out another window they don't see something that confuses them or contradicts what they saw out another window. But as long as you do this, you as the writer control where the reader looks.

I admit that I had a touch of Worldbuilder's Disease before I started writing. The thought crossed my mind that I would write a collection of histories and essays about my world. I did a lot of thinking about my world, and I'm, glad I did, but I'm also glad I never committed myself to actually doing all that work. Once I had a good idea of my setting, I decided I could leave a lot of it blank, or as undecided grey areas, which would allow me room to manoeuvre as I wrote, freedom to build my world as I wrote my story.

Building worlds is a lot of fun. It is also a time sink. It is a heck of a lot easier than writing memorable characters and exciting narratives in prose that is engaging. This is the difficult part of the craft. This is what beginning writers should be focused on, not supplemental material. Fantasy fiction does not require supporting documentation. Stop wasting your time.








3 comments:

  1. Great post, I definitely agree about that last bit. The most difficult thing for me to realize as a new writer was that writing the story *can inform the world-building!* In fact, not having every last thing ironed out before draft one gives you much more maneuverability to find engaging points of conflict and friction between the setting you imagined and the plot that actually unfolded. During revision you can clean up those relationships and world-build to fill in the gaps as needed. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My opinion now is that we have more of this world builder's disease since the inception of games like D&D were the dungeon masters have to build a world to operate in. When I started writing nigh on forty-five years ago, before D&D, no one talked about world building, though some of us (ah-hem) spent some time doing it. But the SF&F world was smaller then and if you talked about such things it was with your buddies at a SF convention. Now it the topic of webinars.

    I am always a little dismayed to see stories populated by elf, orcs, dwarves and wizards as if these are the standard goto species for fantasy stories. Tolkien used these, of course, but it was D&D that made them standard fare.

    My 29 year old son handed me a 35 page document yesterday to edit with similar world building for a D&D expansion module. It's quite elaborate and complete, but it isn't a story, and he has no inclination to write one. And I just don't know what to say.

    On a similar note, I was approached to write a romance based on the World of Warcraft, and I had to turn it down, because I have no clue as how I would do that. When I mentioned it to another of my sons he laughed and said he didn't see how such a thing could be done, though I suppose someone, somewhere took that job.

    So, ahw, you are right. If you are writing stories, no one cares about your worldbuilding. And I would also add, if you want to write, don't treat your story like a game you would play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point and distinction. There are some people who just want to build worlds, then they tell their stories within those worlds more socially through D&D or similar. That is all good and dandy. Maybe the point should be: if you want a career in writing--e.g., you intend to write more than one book--then world builder's disease is definitely a disease. If that is not your goal, go have a ball.

      Delete